Guidelines for Requesting a Proclamation, Commendation or Special Message
The Governor’s Office offers recognition for significant accomplishments and milestones:
- Proclamations recognize a year, month, week or day for significant events such as holidays or those designated to raise awareness of a specific issue affecting Hawaii residents. (Note: The proclamation neither indicates nor implies the Governor’s support of any given issue or cause.)
- Commendations honor individuals who have performed outstanding public service or achieved a noteworthy accomplishment.
- Special messages mark significant occasions such as milestone anniversaries and public events.
Due to the high volume of requests received daily, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines, including minimum advance notice requirements.
- All requests must be submitted a minimum of four (4) weeks prior to the date it is needed.
- Requests will be accepted no more than six (6) months in advance.
- All requests must be submitted by an individual or organization based in Hawaii. National or international requests require that they be made in writing, preferably signed by the CEO or president of the local entity and on the organization’s letterhead.
- The Governor’s Office reserves the right to accept or decline any request, regardless of whether it was accommodated in previous years.
- All issued proclamations, commendations and special messages are to be used for a single occasion, and are not to be used for profit, commercial advertising or promotion, or advancing a political agenda.
- Requests for any given event or issue will be considered once per year. Organizations are encouraged to request documents that coincide with national- or state-designated dates.
- The Governor’s Office reserves the right to edit the wording of any request. Text of the document is not to be altered in any way without the consent of the Governor’s Office.
- If you wish to invite the Governor to present the proclamation, commendation or special message in-person, please also fill out the Invite the Governor to an Event online form.