Improving public education is one of the Ige Administration’s top priorities. Hawaii’s children deserve quality public education that provides an opportunity for all students to achieve their highest potential. Quality public education also creates a workforce with the skills and knowledge that are necessary for a strong economy.
Ige Administration Education Plan:
- Work to increase weighted student formula spending at the school level to 75% of our education funding, from the current 58% level.
- Reform our “top-down” bureaucracy so that the system supports our schools.
- Increase funding that supports school-initiated, innovative approaches to education.
- Appoint individuals to the Board of Education who have a stake in the system’s success, including those with children in public schools.
- Create a system that provides financial incentives for effective principals to remain at their schools.