DLNR NEWS RELEASE: DLNR Holds Public Meetings on Banyan Drive and Kanoelehua Industrial Area Future PlansPosted on Jan 8, 2016 in Latest Department News, Newsroom, Office of the Governor Press Releases
HILO — The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) will hold public meetings this month in Hilo to provide information on studies it has commissioned to assist with the Department’s planning for the future of these areas as current leases expire.
DLNR leases out state-owned lands in Hilo, Hawai‘i at Banyan Drive and in the Kanoelehua Industrial Area. Revenue from these leases supports important DLNR programs, including those conducted by the Division of Forestry and Wildlife, Division of State Parks, Engineering Division, Office of Conservation and Coastal Lands, and Commission on Water Resource Management.
One of the leases at Banyan Drive has expired and has been placed on a month-to-month revocable permit. Other leases at Banyan Drive and in the Kanoelehua Industrial Area will expire in the next several years.
The public meeting will include a brief presentation on the studies and members of the public will be given the opportunity to ask questions and provide comments. The studies are available on the DLNR Land Division website at http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/ld/kanoelehua-and-banyan-drive-studies/ for public review and comment:
Goal: Support the Banyan Drive Working Group’s efforts to address the future of Banyan Drive
Objective: Obtain an understanding of conditions, limitations and opportunities for the formulation of revitalization strategies
- Tourism Market Study – To analyze the tourism industry and determine market demand for a new hotel in Hilo.
- Sea Level Rise Assessment – To assess sea level rise effects on Banyan Drive parcels.
- Master Lease Feasibility Analysis – To investigate the feasibility of placing management of Reed’s Bay Hotel, Country Club Condominium, and Uncle Billy’s Hotel under a single master lease.
Kanoelehua Industrial Area
Goal: Improve management effectiveness of DLNR’s Kanoelehua lands
Objective: Obtain an understanding of conditions, limitations and opportunities for the effective management of DLNR’s Kanoelehua lands
- Market Study – To determine market demand for industrial-commercial uses in the Hilo region for the near- and long-term.
- Lot Consolidation Analysis – To identify opportunities for consolidating/resubdividing lots to maximize functionality and value for DLNR.
- Master Lease Feasibility Analysis – To investigate the feasibility and desirability of placing management of DLNR’s Kanoelehua properties under a single master lease.
Both meetings will be held at:
County of Hawai‘i
101 Pauahi Street, Suite 1
Hilo, Hawai‘i 96720
- Kanoelehua Industrial Area – January 15, 2016 at 9:00 a.m.
- Banyan Drive – January 15, 2016 at 1:00 p.m.
Anyone who is unable to attend the meeting, may download a comment form from the website and send in written comments to the following address. Please provide your comments by February 1, 2016.
Mail comments to:
KANOELEHUA/BANYAN DRIVE COMMENTS
305 High Street, Suite 104
Wailuku, Hawai‘i 96793
# # #
DLNR Communications specialist
Phone: (808) 587-0320