DLNR NEWS RELEASE: Voting begins for Maunalua Bay Recreation Advisory CommitteePosted on Nov 10, 2015 in Latest News, Newsroom, Press Releases
HONOLULU — In response to the concerns of community members regarding the status of ocean recreation regulations in Maunalua Bay, the DLNR Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) is taking the next step to establish the Maunalua Bay Recreation Advisory Committee (M-RAC).
Online voting will open on Thursday, November 12, 2015 and runs until 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, November 19, 2015. Anyone interested in voting is encouraged to sign up through the boating website at: http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dobor/mrac/.
More information on the role of the committee, what qualities representatives should possess, and other information regarding the M-RAC is also available at the boating website.
DOBOR will announce the results of the vote the week of November 23, 2015. It plans to facilitate the first general meeting in December or January to provide a chance for the community to meet the elected M-RAC representatives and to discuss what will be the immediate and long term goals of the M-RAC.
“Through the representatives of the advisory committee, DOBOR is looking for community input that reflects the values of the Hawai‘i Kai community and for them to be involved in the process,” said Ed Underwood, DOBOR administrator.
M-RAC members will represent fishing, surfing, paddling, diving, thrill craft interests as well as bay residents. (See attached list of nominees).
DOBOR is sensitive to the concerns of the Maunalua Bay community regarding overcrowding and currently imposes the following restrictions on commercial activity in Maunalua Bay under Hawai‘i Administrative Rules § 13-256-88:
- Limited numbers of commercial thrill craft and high speed boating permits are issued by DOBOR
- All commercial recreation activities are prohibited on Sundays.
- All thrill craft/high speed boating and towing is prohibited on weekends and state or federal holidays.
- Commercial thrill craft operations during weekdays are restricted to operating between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- All commercial thrill craft and high speed boating operations are restricted to specific zones within Maunalua Bay.
- Commercial thrill craft and high speed boating operations are further restricted during humpback whale season.
# # #
DLNR Communications specialist