HAWAII STATE ENERGY OFFICE SCHEDULES COMMUNITY MEETINGS ON UTILITY MODEL STUDYPosted on Jun 12, 2018 in Latest News
HONOLULU — The Hawaii State Energy Office (HSEO) will host a series of community meetings across the state starting tomorrow to gather community input for the second phase of a study being done on future models for utility ownership and regulation in Hawaii.
The latest round of community meetings will focus on the future of electric utility regulatory models, including performance-based regulation and the role the Public Utilities Commission plays in achieving state energy goals. The first series of community meetings held last October addressed the issue of utility ownership.
HSEO, a division of the State Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT), is undertaking the study at the request of the Hawaii State Legislature to evaluate the costs and benefits of various electric utility ownership models, as well as the viability of various utility regulatory approaches to help Hawaii in achieving its energy goals. The study will examine scenarios for each of Hawaii’s counties.
HSEO has contracted with Boston-based London Economics International (LEI) to carry out the study, which is expected to be completed by January 2019. LEI and subcontractor Meister Consultants Group will lead the community meetings for June 13-22. The meeting schedule is as follows:
- Kailua, June 13, 5:30 – 7 p.m., Enchanted Lake Elementary School Cafeteria, 770 Keolu Dr. Kailua Event Flier and Registration
- Honolulu, June 14, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Foreign Trade Zone #9, Homer Maxey Conference Center, 521 Ala Moana, Suite 201. Honolulu Event Flier and Registration
- Lihue, June 15, 5:30 – 7 p.m. Kauai High School Cafeteria, 3577 Lala Rd. Kauai Event Flier and Registration
- Wailuku, June 18, 6:00-7:30 p.m. Waikapu Community Center, 22 E Waiko Rd. Maui Event Flier and Registration
- Kaunakakai, June 19, 6:00-7:30 p.m. Mitchell Pauole Center Main Hall, 90 Ainoa St. Molokai Event Flier and Registration
- Lanai City, June 20, 6:00-7;30 p.m. Lanai Community Center, Eighth St. and Lanai Ave. Lanai Event Flier and Registration
- Hilo, June 21, 5:30 – 7 p.m. Waiakea High School, 155 W Kawili St. Hilo Event Flier and Registration
- Kailua-Kona, June 22, 5:30 – 7 p.m. NELHA Research Campus, Hale Iako Building, 73-970 Makako Bay Drive. Kailua-Kona Event Flier and Registration
Community members planning on attending the meetings are encouraged to RSVP at the link above. Light refreshments will be served. Those unable to attend a meeting in person can view a copy of the material presented, which will be posted on HSEO’s website energy.hawaii.gov/utility-model after the meetings, and may participate by submitting feedback via email to: [email protected] Questions about the meetings or the study can be emailed to the same address.
|Hawaii State Energy Office | Utility Model Study
At the request of the state legislature, the Hawaii State Energy Office is embarking on a study to evaluate the costs and benefits of various electric utility ownership models, as well as the viability of various utility regulatory approaches, to aid Hawaii in achieving its state energy goals.
About the Hawaii State Energy Office
The Hawaii State Energy Office (HSEO) is a division of the state’s Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. With the state’s goal to reach 100 percent renewable energy generation by 2045, HSEO is leading the state’s charge toward clean energy independence. HSEO is committed to developing and deploying high impact solutions that will maximize Hawaii’s renewable energy resources and improve efficiency and transportation standards. Through effective policies and innovative programs, HSEO has positioned Hawaii as a leader in clean energy innovation, which will generate quality jobs, attract investment opportunities and accelerate economic growth. For more information, visit energy.hawaii.gov
|Hawaii State Energy Office
Hawaii State Energy Office Dept. of Business, Economic Development & Tourism 235 S. Beretania Street, 5th Floor Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Phone: (808) 587-3807
Alan Yonan Jr.
DBEDT State Energy Office