HDOT NEWS RELEASE: Likelike Highway roadwork scheduled for tunnel lighting replacementsPosted on Dec 9, 2016 in Latest Department News
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) advises Oahu motorists of nighttime closures on the Likelike Highway during the months of December 2016 through March 2017 for the replacement of the Wilson Tunnel lighting. LED lights will be installed through the Wilson Tunnels as part of the Johnson Control energy savings contract and HDOT’s energy efficiency initiative. Lane closures are as follows:
- Likelike Highway closed in the Kaneohe-bound direction between Nalanieha Street and Kahekili Highway from 9:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Sunday night, Dec. 11, 2016 through Thursday morning, Dec. 22, 2016.
- Monday night, Jan. 2, 2017 through Friday morning, Jan. 27, 2017.
(Sunday through Thursday nights, excluding Monday night, Jan. 16, 2017)
- Likelike Highway closed in the Honolulu-bound direction between Kahekili Highway and Nalanieha Street from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Sunday night, Jan. 29, 2017 through Friday morning, March 10, 2017.
(Sunday through Thursday nights, excluding Monday night, Feb. 20, 2017)
Electronic message boards have been posted on the Likelike Highway to notify motorists of the closures. Special Duty Police Officers will be on site to assist with traffic control. Emergency vehicles, first responders and TheBus have been notified of the roadwork and will be allowed through the work zone. Roadwork is weather permitting.
HDOT advises motorists to plan ahead and use alternate routes such as the H-3 Freeway and Pali Highway. Roadwork updates will be posted on the HDOT website at https://hidot.hawaii.gov and on our social media websites through Facebook and Twitter.