NEWS RELEASE: IOLANI SCHOOL WINS 2020 HAWAII LIFESMARTS STATE COMPETITIONPosted on Feb 10, 2020 in Latest Department News
HONOLULU – The team from Iolani School is the winner of the annual Hawaii LifeSmarts State Competition. The game show style competition, which was held today at the University of Hawaii at Manoa’s Campus Center Ballroom, tested the students on their knowledge of personal finance, health and safety, the environment, technology, and consumer rights and responsibilities.
Teams from Iolani, Kalani, Maryknoll and Waipahu High Schools were invited to compete at today’s competition following the preliminary online competition. Today’s in-person competition consisted of written tests, a “speed smarts” activity, and game show style buzzer rounds. As the 2020 state champions, Iolani School will go on to represent Hawaii at the National LifeSmarts Competition in Washington, D.C. from April 25 – 28, 2020. Members of the team are: Jayson Guo (team captain), Joshua Park, Noah Taniguchi, Robert Chang, and Dustin Carr. The team was coached by James Rubasch.
“We are excited for Iolani School to represent Hawaii in Washington, D.C. We are proud that our Hawaii LifeSmarts Program continues to encourage our teens to be “life smart” by challenging them to develop real life skills through their hard work and teamwork,” said Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) Director Catherine Awakuni Colón. “Thank you to our staff, volunteers, and community partners for their time and generous contributions in making this a successful event.”
LifeSmarts is a free educational program that prepares students to enter the real world as smart consumers by teaching them the skills needed to succeed in today’s global marketplace. The program was created by the National Consumers League and sponsored locally by the DCCA Office of the Securities Commissioner and Insurance Division, in partnership with the Hawaii Credit Union League.
2020 Hawaii State Competition Community Supporters include:
- Aloha Pacific Federal Credit Union
- Better Business Bureau Northwest + Pacific
- Big Island Federal Credit Union
- Coastal Construction Company, Inc.
- Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Division of Financial Institutions
- Department of the Attorney General, Crime Prevention and Justice Assistance Division, Community and Crime Prevention Branch
- Farmers Insurance Hawaii
- Hawaii Asphalt Paving Industry
- Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union
- Hawaii Credit Union League
- Hawaii Dental Service
- Hawaii Government Employees Association, Local 152 (HGEA)
- Hawaii Information Service
- Hawaii Pacific University
- Hawaii State Federal Credit Union
- Hawaii State Teachers Association (HSTA)
- HawaiiUSA Federal Credit Union Foundation
- Hickam Federal Credit Union
- HMSA Employees Federal Credit Union
- Honolulu Fire Department Federal Credit Union
- Island Energy Services (Texaco)
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii
- Matsunaga Charitable Foundation
- Kualoa Ranch Hawaii Inc.
- Oahu Federal Credit Union
- Outrigger Hotels & Resorts
- Pasha Group and Pasha Hawaii
- Pearl Hawaii Federal Credit Union
- Schofield Federal Credit Union
- Toshiba Business Solutions
- United Public Workers AFSCME, Local 646 (UPW)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Shidler College of Business, Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship (PACE)
Visit www.LifeSmartsHawaii.com for more information.
# # #
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Email: [email protected]
Office: (808) 587-7582
Cell: (808) 389-2788