OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR – News Release – Governor signs agreements with Mayors Caldwell and Carvalho for release of disaster funds for county flood response projects

Posted on May 24, 2018 in Latest News, Press Releases

C&C of Honolulu Agreement

County of Kauai Agreement

HONOLULU – Gov. Ige and Mayor Bernard Carvalho signed a Letter of Agreement today that will release an initial $25 million in flood assistance to the County of Kauaʻi. The funds will help the county proceed with disaster recovery projects following record-breaking rainfall in April 2018 that caused devastating flooding and mudslides, isolating several communities on the island’s North Shore.

The County of Kauaʻi submitted a list of 90 projects with cost estimates totaling $31,215,183 million. This includes road work, bridge repairs, and debris pick up in a number of locations, as well as repairs to various parks and other public facilities. The county will submit monthly reports to the state Director of Finance, and additional funds may be transferred to Kaua‘i County upon completion of projects in the initial phase of the recovery plan.

Gov. Ige and Roy Amemiya, acting mayor, City and County of Honolulu, signed a similar Letter of Agreement on Wednesday, May 23 authorizing the initial release of $10 million for 15 projects with cost estimates totaling $14.85 million. The list includes work on Hahaione Channel, Kului Gulch, Kuliouou Channel and Wailupe Stream.

“The state mounted an immediate response when flooding and landslides closed highways and caused tens of millions of dollars in damage on Kauaʻi and Oʻahu last month. This funding is the next step in the recovery process and makes it possible for the counties to move forward with repairs to public facilities,” said Gov. Ige.

“We are so grateful for this funding provided by Gov. Ige and our legislators,” said Mayor Bernard P. Carvalho Jr. “This is just another phase of teamwork from all of our partners to provide the people of Kaua‘i the resources they need to recover from the devastating April flood.”

Gov. Ige signed SB 192 (Act 12), otherwise known as the Kaua‘i and O‘ahu flood recovery bill on Thursday, May 10. The measure set aside a total of $125 million for the recovery effort – $100 million to help finance the flood recovery on Kaua‘i, and another $25 million for O‘ahu.

 

ATTACHED: County of Kaua‘i and City and County of Honolulu agreements

For PHOTOS click here.

###

 

Media Contacts:

Sarah Blane

Office of Mayor Bernard Carvalho

Phone: 808-241-4900

sblane@kauai.gov

 

Andrew Pereira

Communications Director

Office of Mayor Kirk Caldwell

Office: 808-768-5824

Mobile: 808-321-0690

andrew.pereira@honolulu.gov

 

Cindy McMillan

Communications Director

Office of the Governor

Office: 808-586-0012

Mobile: 808-265-7974

cindy.mcmillan@hawaii.gov